The emphasis placed by article 17 of the Code for cultural heritage on the articulations which make up the national catalogue, underlines the equal participation of the Regions in the national catalogue and it is qualified not in its uniqueness but moreover in its articulation. The territorial articulation on the ‘local’ collection and archiving of data brings to the fore the matters of exchange and access to databases available in the territory.
Through these area agreements, underwritten by both regional Directors and the regions, the ICCD promotes dialogue with the territories. These are aimed at sustaining the increase of the national catalogue based on the respect for cataloguing standards. The understandings represent the formal adhesion to a level of cooperation with institutions outside of MiBAC: Regions, diocese, universities, within the frame of systematic activity between the Institute and structures of territorial coordination.The definition of local technical agreements start from the predisposition of a first proof of work based on the general references defined by the national joint technical Board as scheduled by the regional State agreement of 1 February 2001. The ICCD is involved in this phase and is requested without distinction by the Regional Directors or regions to verify in particular:
- the framework of the Agreement at a regulatory level and the general strategies of the Ministry in terms of cataloguing;
- the alignment to methodological, terminological and procedural standards;
- the integration and exchange, within the sphere of the national catalogue, of heritage with respect to copyright, safeguarding heritage and data protection;
- the problems of creating digital data on heritage with respect to safeguarding heritage;
- training on digitalised cataloguing and the guarantee of quality cataloguing.